Thursday, August 2, 2012

133. Delectable Curried Chicken


This is a recipe very near and dear to my heart, one I learnt from my mom, and have been making time and again. It's from Good Food F-a-s-t by Malcolm Hillier, which I bought again after having lost it the first time. It is old (1995) but I love it and the recipes are timeless.

I generally associate curries with casual (and perhaps slightly messy) dining... not this recipe though!
It presents very elegantly with fragrant spiced rice, and is delicious in flavor, not at all over-whelming like some Indian or Thai curries I have tasted. The best part besides the taste? It takes 20 minutes from start to finish!



Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
10 pc cardamom pods, crushed
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp alspice
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1x400g can tomatoes, chopped
1 lime, juice (or 1/2 lemon)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 chicken breasts, sliced into 0.5 cm
250ml cream
lime or lemon zest





Method:

Heat the olive oil in a pan, add all the spices and the garlic.
Fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the tomato can, lime or lemon juice, sugar and salt.
Reduce the tomato or med-high heat.
Add the chicken strips, cook 10 minutes until opaque and cooked through.
Add the cream and the zest, stir over low heat for an additional 2 minutes.
Serve with basmati rice of choice, preferably fragrant spiced rice, or a simple saffron rice.



 صحة و عافية


1 comment:

Nancy said...

I made this today and literally couldnt stop eating.