Sunday, February 1, 2015

754. Iraqi Meatball Pea Stew


When a foreigner hears that an average Iraqi household has stew and rice every day of the week, they are likely to be confused as to why someone would eat the same thing over and over. Let me clarify: there are a thousand and one different stews (maybe more).
Although reminiscent of my cauliflower-meatballs casserole, this one is more of a household favorite as we like peas here. Serve with some crusty white rice on the side, and you've got your average day lunch prepared!
Adapted from Tummylicious Treats.


Ingredients:

500g minced beef or lamb
1 onion, fine dice
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
3 cups of frozen peas
1x400g canned tomato
3 cups broth


Method:

Form the minced meat into meatballs he size of a sparrow bird's head.
In a pot over medium-high heat, sear the meatballs until browned and golden on all sides.
If using lamb, you may need to drain off the extra fat.
Add the onions and continue to saute until softened.
Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, chili, pepper, and salt; saute a minute or two more.
Add the frozen peas, blended can of tomato and the broth.
Bring to the boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
Serve the stew along with white rice.


 صحة و عافية

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've tried this before. but i put the meatballs in the oven and had also a little onions in them. i really liked the end result. but my husband is more of the 'real meat' in the stew lover...
i just doesnt like it too much when i have meatballs instead of 'real meat' in the stew... lol.
thanks for the post!
-me

Maryam said...

Oh that made me laugh!! Our men are like that too, they don't consider minced meat "real meat" so I make this mostly if only women and kids will be eating (otherwise it's a "side dish" lol!).

Abida said...

Maa sha Allah, this looks SO good I am literally drooling at the sight. I am adding this to the list of things I want to make!

Maryam said...

Thanks Abida, I hope you'll love it like we do!

Anonymous said...

This is my granddaughter’s favorite!

Maryam said...

She has good taste!