Thursday, December 5, 2013

520. Ageeli Qatari Cake


Ageeli (عقيلي) is a Qatari cake that tickles the senses with its luxurious perfume of saffron, cardamom, and rosewater.

If you happened to be in the Arabian Gulf, you might find Ageeli as one large bundt cake. I have been gifted the cake as mini bundts, and found purchasing a mini-bundt mold totally justified.
The recipe can be found in Arabic on 5anfaroush.
Instead of the usual buttering and flouring, the pans are brushed with tahini and sprinkles with sesame seeds before pouring in the batter.
I have also been told that some recipes use two thirds flour to one third rice flour, which is the traditional Qatari way to make it. I have tried both and found the all-flour method to be fluffier.

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup yogurt
1 1/2 tsp saffron, crushed
1/2 tsp powdered cardamom
2 Tbsp rosewater
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
tahini, for mold
sesame, for mold


Method:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Brush mini bundt tins with tahini and sprinkle with sesame.
In a bowl, put the saffron, cardamom, and rosewater. Microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
Whisk in the milk, yogurt, and oil. Set aside.
Using a stand or electric whisker, whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until pale, frothy, and creamy (a good 7 to 10 minutes).
Gently fold in the flour and baking powder and the reserved saffron mixture.
Try to keep as much air in the batter as possible.
I poured my batter in a beaker to have easier control over pouring in the prepared molds.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Let cool in molds for 5-10 minutes before inverting.


صحة و عافية

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalama alaikoum Maryam, that looks amazing and I can't wait to try it. Did you ever try the Zafaran custard dessert from Hail wa Zafaran? It's the most delicious thing I have ever tasted and am dying for the recipe. I think the cake they stuff at the bottom of the custard must be just like this recipe. Thank you for you efforts. Khadija

Maryam said...

Wa alaikum al salam Khadija!
No, I've never tried it, it seems to currently be open only in the UAE.
This cake really was delicious and so One Thousand and One Arabian Nights.
I will keep the dessert in mind should I find myself in there, thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you dear for your visit and welcome back anytime.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Maryam. I am always fishing around your delicious recipes :) There is a Hail wa Zaafaran branch on Jumeirah Road towards Burj Al Arab on the opposite side of the road. Its really amazing, I get most of my sweets from there. Best wishes to you and sahteyn!
Khadija

Maryam said...

And to you dear sister :)

Kim said...

I’ve been looking for a good aqeeli recipe for the longest time - I made your recipe today and it’s excellent- thank you

Maryam said...

That's great; you're welcome!