Wednesday, September 24, 2014

685. Freekeh Soup


I was surprised when I discovered that freekeh is not to everyone's tastes.

One person described it as what they would imagine horse's hay feed tastes like.
I, on the other hand, absolutely adore freekeh, and would readily substitute it for rice.
This soup was light, fragrant, warming, and satiating all at the same time.
Very simple to make, the recipe comes from Kitchen of Palestine.


Ingredients:

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cracked green wheat (freekeh), thoroughly washed 3 times
4 cups vegetable broth
Salt to taste


Method:

In a pot over medium heat, saute the chopped onions with olive oil until lightly browned.
Add cleaned freekeh and stir with onions for a minute or two (roasting freekeh before cooking gives them a richer flavor).
Add vegetable stock, cover the pot and leave it under low-medium heat for about an hour or until freekeh is very tender.
Set aside to cool slightly before blending the mixture.
Adjust seasoning and if too thick add up to 2 cups water to thin out according to taste.
Serve hot with green olives and your preference of bread.


 صحة و عافية

2 comments:

Noor said...

I cannot find this anywhere in Saudi Arabia. I have no idea how it tastes, but I wanted to try it. I hope it does not taste like hay though lol. You sure made it look great mashAllah.

Maryam said...

Thanks Noor! It has a delicate smoky flavor, and is so good for the health. If you email me your PO Box via email I will happily send you a bag. I find it easily in grocery stores both bagged and per kilo.