Friday, December 27, 2013

535. Vegetarian Bamia Okra Stew


A very kind Sana asked for a vegetarian version of Iraqi Bamia, so here it is!

To make up for the flavor lent to the stew by the meat, I suggest frying the okra and garlic. Just to give it some color and flavor. Meanwhile, a tomato broth is made. Vegetable bouillon cubes are added instead of salt, and this also increases flavor.
The fried okra and garlic are drained on absorbent paper from excess oil before added to the tomato broth.
Serve with crusty rice and/or over torn Iraqi bread and fresh onion quarters for true village-style bamia thareed!


Ingredients:

400g frozen okra "zero"
10 cloves garlic
2 cups oil for deep frying
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 bouillon cubes
3 cups water
1/2 tsp pepper


Method:

Peel and cut the garlic cloves lengthwise in half.
Fry the okra and garlic in 2 cups of hot oil until they start to take on a golden color.
Strain from the oil and drain on absorbent kitchen paper towels.
In a separate pot, put the lemon juice, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, water, and pepper.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the okra and garlic to the tomato broth, and simmer an additional 30 minutes, until slightly thicker than a soup consistency.
Serve with crusty rice and/or Iraqi bread.


 صحة و عافية

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so soooo good

Maryam said...

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made this for my roommates tonight!! I am always making Iraqi dishes for them that I grew up eating and they are blown away. This is my favorite food growing up, my dad always made fun of me because for him it was just a peasant dish. but for me bamia is so special!! so flavorful. Thank you!!

Maryam said...

I definitely agree with you; nothing beats a good bamia. You're welcome, and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I know, I know, it's sooooo delicious! I love bamia so much too. I know some people don't like ocra because they think it's slimy, but the lemon changes that even though I like to make it so it's still a little slimy because I find it really soothing for the stomach.

Maryam said...

Did you know that the smaller the okra, the less the slime? I use the frozen "okra zero", so no slime at all. On the slime topic, I had a horrible molokhiya experience ages ago but I plan to overcome that and make a proper non-slimy molokhiya Stew using dried leaves. Never again frozen molokhiya for me.