Sunday, November 11, 2012

234. Iraqi Carrot Rice


This hearty rice recipe is very common in Iraq, and is also fairly known throughout the Arab world.
It is simply known as carrot rice (تمن جزر).
Carrots, onions, and beef are laced with Arabian spices along with long grain Basmati rice.
It can easily be converted into a vegetarian dish by omitting the beef mince.



Ingredients:

2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
2 cups Basmati rice
500g minced meat
1 tsp turmeric
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
3/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt



Method:

In a pot over medium-high saute the carrots and onion in a tablespoon or two of oil, until onions just wilting.
Add the spices and seasonings, then the minced meat.
Saute until meat just browned.
Stir in the rinsed and drained rice until coated in the mixture.
Add boiled water until just covered, cover, and reduce heat to low.
Leave 20 to 25 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the grains are fluffed.
Serve hot.



 صحة و عافية

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalama alaikoum Chef Maryam, I hope all is well with you inshallah. I really want to try this recipe and have been looking for allspice in Sharjah and cannot find it in any supermarket. Can I ask you where you purchase yours from please? Also do the carrots become soft or do you recommend pre-boiling them? Can you also advise how much rice you are using here. Thank you so much. Khadija

Maryam said...

Wa alaikum alSalam dearest sister Khadija! I cannot believe I forgot to add the main ingredient to the list! Thank you so much for pointing that out, I just modified it to include 2 cups of rice.
The carrots soften perfectly without parboiling in advance.
I live in Qatar and get my alspice from the Carrefour. You can find them either in little tube jars or sold whole by the kilo. I think they are also known as sweet black pepper.
Its an amazing spice that gives Arabian dishes a great flavor.
And hehehe wAllah I'm no chef, I just like to cook for my family and I enjoy feeding people.
Thanks so much once more for pointing out the missing rice quantity and I love reading your comments.
May Allah bless you and Salam alaikum.

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks for the update Maryam. I can't wait to try this. I'm sorry, I don't know why I thought you lived in Dubai. I couldn't find it in Carrefour here when I went and small seem to be aimed more to the Indian population than the Arab one. I'm going to go on an allspice hunt next week inshallah and give this a whirl. Looking forward to more recipes and inspirations. Thank you always for sharing. May allah bless you too. Khadija

Anonymous said...

I tried this and me and my husband loved it! I'm newly married and new learning things in the kitchen, this was super easy and fast and delicious! thank you for all the recipes , I will definitely be trying more!

Maryam said...

That's superbe, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations and may Allah bless your marriage!

Unknown said...

yummy

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe I tried it and it came out just perfect !! Please share morr iraqi recipes. Sarah from US.

Maryam said...

That's wonderful, Sarah! I certainly plan to:)

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe with few modifications I used ground beef instead and I didn't use allspice since I didn't have it at the time it turned out amazing thank you so much for sharing it. May Allah bless you inshallah.

Maryam said...

That's wonderful! Once you do have allspice on hand I highly recommend making the recipe using it. Allah ybarik fiki my sister.

لو لو said...

al salam allykum ,you can find all kind of spcies in sharjah cooperation society in halwan area in sharjah .have a nice day

Maryam said...

Wa alaikum al Salam Lulu, thank you, jazak Allah khair.

AJ said...

This is an awesome recipe !!