Monday, March 10, 2014

586. Tray Marble Cake


One of the things I remember my mother (الله يرحمها) making for us on a regular basis was a Marble Tray Cake.

Sadly, I was not old enough to remember her recipe, so I used my own basic cake recipe accordingly and made it in the form I remember it as a child.
I do remember that hers was significantly more moist from the first day, whereas mine achieves the perfect moistness the day after it is baked.
Strangely, when I remember my mother's marble cake, I also remember that she would always have a bowl of peeled carrots in iced water in the kitchen so we would always have something healthy to munch on between meals.


Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa


Method:

Preheat oven to 375F.
Butter and flour a rectangular oven pan.
In a food processor, whizz the sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla until pale yellow.
Add the flour and baking powder and whizz again for 5 seconds.
Add the milk and whizz for about 15 seconds more until the batter is smooth.
Pour about two thirds of the batter in the prepared pan, leaving the last third in the food processor.
Add the cocoa to the remaining batter and whizz until combined.
Pour the chocolate batter in circles over the white batter.
Using a table knife, swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect.
*Do not over-swirl!* or the batter will all become a faint brown color.
Bake for 45 minutes until risen and a skewer comes out clean.


صحة و عافية

No comments: