Thursday, July 4, 2019

1265. Raspberry Custard Pie


Of all the wonderful pies that have taken off on MCW since December, I just might be bold enough to label this raspberry custard crumble pie my favorite. While the tang from the raspberry delights me, the sharpness is mellowed out by the custard mixture poured over the fruit.
No thickeners needed here; between the cream mixture and the crumble topping, you'll have all then thickness you need. Do not be daunted by the four components (crust/fruit/cream/crumble). This pie takes no longer to assemble than any of the other pies that came before it.


Ingredients:

Pie crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 Tbsp powder sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup (about) ice water

Filling:
500g raspberries
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups full-fat sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
Pinch  salt

Crumble Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter


Method:

To make the crust: Blend flour, powder sugar, and salt in large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture using pastry blender or fork. Stir in just enough water with fork until dough holds together.
Roll out the crust and line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Crimp the sides.
Fill with all the raspberries (fresh or still-frozen).
For the cream: whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and lemon colored. Whisk in the sour cream and vanilla, then continue to whisk until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar, flour and salt and whisk until smooth and thoroughly incorporated. Pour over the raspberries.
For the crumble topping: Add sugar, flour and butter to a large bowl or to the bowl of a stand mixer. Work the butter through using your hands or the mixer until the mixture is a coarse crumble. Sprinkle of the raspberry cream, covering the entire surface.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, until edges of the pie and the crumble topping are golden brown and the middle no longer jiggles when moved.
Let to cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature with dollops of fresh whipped cream if desired.

صحة و عافية

9 comments:

Mandy said...

I am not sure what I did wrong with mine. Mine ended up soupy in the middle and never would set up :(

Maryam said...

Oh no! I've made this pie countless times, I can't think why this happened! I would suggest you make sure you are using the full amount of flour in the custard, also use large eggs. Those are the two thickening agents here. Maybe up the flour in the custard to half a cup? Also just in case you have a clump of raspberries in the middle, be sure to stir the custard through them to ensure even distribution. I hope you ha e the courage to try it again, it really is one of the top 3 pies I've made. I'd love to hear how you get on. Good luck.

Mandy said...

Yes, I will definitely make it again. The only thing I did differently was I stirred the raspberries with the liquid ingredients and I didn’t pour it over as the picture. I also used frozen raspberries. I am going to try it again and see if I can’t get it right the second time. I am sure it is user error. It has a great taste though so I know I will love it :)

Mandy said...

2nd time was a charm! My husband said it is one of his favorite pies now :).

Maryam said...

That made my day, I'm so glad! Thanks for giving it another chance.

Heather&Jason said...

How do you store the pie? Does it need to be refrigerated?

Maryam said...

Yes, if it's not consumed on the same day it would require refrigerated storage.

Anonymous said...

Can you use frozen berries?

Maryam said...

Yes