Tuesday, June 22, 2021

1558. Palestinian Mashed Boiled Eggs


I think I once told the story of my Palestinian fellow intern in the years long before blogging? She is the same one who introduced me to sage tea on our groggy early mornings in the institution's pantry. We were eager students who had to wake at the break of dawn to punch in our unreasonable hours to qualify for graduation. A hot steaming mug of sweet sage tea made by her made those mornings bearable. Anyways, sometimes we would treat ourselves to a meal in the cafeteria. I would have my usual croissant (always soggy, unfortunately) and black coffee, and she would order a boiled egg and flat bread. I would watch with curiosity as she would proceed to mash the boiled egg with a fork on her plate, douse it with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, and mash it again before mopping it up with the flatbread. I never had the courage to try it in public at the time, but it stuck with me. Here it is featured on MCW. All it really needs is salt and olive oil, but you can definitely dress it up with chili flakes, or even zaatar.



Ingredients:

boiled egg
olive oil
salt
chili flakes, optional

bread, to serve.



Method:

Mash the boiled egg with a fork on a plate, douse it with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt (and chili flakes, if using), and mash it again. Serve with bread and maybe some sweet sage tea.

صحة و عافية

No comments: