Sunday, February 28, 2021

1514. Simple Ful


Ful, or breakfast mashed beans, can be served on a special occasion, such as Eid breakfast, or on just any regular day of the week. However, because it is a breakfast you would like to consume at your leisure, I recommend it as a weekend breakfast.
While a can of broad beans was and is commonly used, you can go through the trouble of soaking and boiling your own. Flavor is injected through the gutsy additions of onion, garlic, and chilli. Tomato mellows it out, and fresh lemon wedges are absolutely essential upon serving. Flatbread is traditional to scoop. Depending on how hot you like your food, you can either keep or discard the chilli seeds.



Ingredients:

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, fine dice
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 green chilli 
1 tomato, diced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt & pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 can ful



Method:

Saute in the oil the onion, garlic, and chilli until pungent and starting to soften.
Add the tomato and tomato paste, stir a bit to cook them.
Add the spices and the can of ful. As it cooks, mask it rusticly with your wooden spoon against the side of the pot. Add water to adjust consistency to your linking. It should be a fairly solid puree, but not sold enough to have cracks. Simmer for 5 minutes longer.
Serve hot with pleny of bread, lemon wedges, and mint tea.

صحة و عافية


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fava beans which I grow every year are only a few inches tall currently but I am so much looking forward to being able to make my own ful medamas with beans grown in my own garden. Thank you for this recipe, it's different from the one I usually make as I add lots of tahini, also coriander seed and coriander leaf so I shall try your recipe using a can. Last time I bought canned fava beans I laughed so much when I opened them as they were enormous! I usually buy Lebanese ones but these were Iraqi and they were two inches long! I made a delicious shakshuka, fried aubergines layered with the beans in a hot spicy tomato sauce, no eggs, roasted in the oven, I think the recipe might be Egyptian, it's delicious.

Maryam said...

Using home grown produce definitely hits different. What an accomplishment to enjoy a recipe with ingredients grown yourself. Beats a can every time. We have some people sensitive to tahini at home, so I cut down to the essentials with this recipe. Your way sounds wonderful, I intend to make it insha Allah with a simple tomato onion parsley salad on top.