Sunday, January 3, 2021

1492. Dressed Lentil Soup


Soup is the ultimate comfort dish in times of sickness or seasonal cold weather. I have revamped my trusty red lentil soup recipe to include dressings like at a restaurant (did not change one thing from the original recipe as it is perfect).
Fresh lemon slices on the side are essential, but the crunch from fried pita bread and the rich carmelization from the onions lend a unique touch, rendering this peasant dish fit for kings.



Ingredients:

1 cup orange lentils
2 stock cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp turmeric

For the dressing:
2 large onions
1 large Lebanese bread
3 lemons, quartered





Method:


Fry the onion in a little oil and add the spices when soft.
Add the lentils and 4 cups water with the stock cubes and simmer for 20 minutes.
Blend until smooth, return to the cooking pot.
Add water to adjust the thickness of the soup.
To prepare the dressings: slice the onions and carmelize in 3 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes until crispy but nor burnt; set aside to cool and crisp up further.
Slice the bread into shreds and fry until golden; set aside to drain and cool.
Serve the soup with the three dressings.

صحة و عافية





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mashallah mashallah chef Maryam, this looks delicious. I'm going to try it this week inshallah. Something has gone wrong every time I've made lentil soup in the last few years. No matter what recipe I have tried it becomes so grainy and just not tasting right. I hope this is the one I've been looking for inshallah. Thank you so much for sharing dear sister. Jakallah khair, Khadija :)

Maryam said...

I hope this will be the correct recipe for you. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck!